03 May, 2008

31 Days In May: part 1

OK, so it's not strictly the first of the month, but there'll still be 31 days in May come what, er, may.

In the creepily decadent manner of fading-pomp era DLT or Simon Bates, there'll be 31 never-very-far-from-being-interesting teasers and riddles up here between now and June. Prizes may include a facsimile satin Radio 1 Roadshow bomber jacket, a copy of 'Roy's Keen' by Morrissey on CD single, and a gingerbread man in the shape of Russell Harty.

Here's question 1:

Listed below are the programmes that made up BBC1's Saturday night schedule on 5th October 1985. Can you re-arrange them into the order they were transmitted?

Juliet Bravo
The Noel Edmonds Late Late Breakfast Show
News, Sport, Weather
Bob's Full House
Film: I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang
Terry And June
The Paul Daniels Magic Show
Film: The Blue Lagoon
The Tripods

4 comments:

Steve Williams said...

Oh brilliant, a scheduling question. I'm going for...

The Tripods
Terry and June
The Late Late Breakfast Show
Bob's Full House
Juliet Bravo
The Paul Daniels Magic Show
News
The Blue Lagoon ("and me, the blue-haired goon!")
I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang

Funnily enough, I had that screening of The Blue Lagoon on an old Betamax tape I acquired, as well as the preceding news bulletin. Of course, the late film - a Saturday Movie Classic introduced by Barry Norman - was a late addition to the schedule as there was that dispute between TV and the Football League and so MOTD had been dropped.

I've also got another Saturday night, I think from a few weeks later, on Betamax where they show The King And I as a tribute to Yul Brynner. That's not a Saturday night film, is it?

Ian Jones said...

This is, naturally, correct.

And on BBC2 at the same time, a feature length Harold Lloyd's World Of Comedy ("Commentary by Art Ross").

Chris Hughes said...

"What the? That's terrible! My hair's not even blue, it's green!"

The Blue Lagoon would be *the* quintessential tape-it-off-the-telly film back in 1985, for obvious reasons.

RossMc said...

Well done Mr Williams, sir.

I would definitely have gone for The Tripods as the first show post-Grandstand, as my only memory of the programme is when BBC Radio Scotland went completely mental one Saturday night, and started broadcasting whatever was on BBC1, rather than 'Sportsound' with Tom Ferrie.

It was a little odd to be returning with my dad from Hamilton v Ayr United, and hearing Des Lynam, followed by the Grandstand theme, and the first 10 minutes of the sci-fi adventures of the Tripods, all over the car radio.